Friday, May 9, 2008

Don't Stop Until Success

Success is like a drug. When you have it you want more. But how is success evaluated? It is dependent on my perspective as well as the perspective of others. I can be partially satisfied if I set my sights on goals that are personally achievable, but to be wholly satisfied I have to achieve things that are valued by me as well as by my peers. There is an element of presentation alluded to. In order for my peers to evaluate what I am doing, they have to see it. I have to show it. Unfortunately, fear of criticism is the monster of seclusion. I produce, but don't want to be judged. Without the input of others my products feels empty. I have to find ways to show my "in-between" mediocre and expert works. I guess that this is best done amongst others with the same vision, in an environment that is not critical to the point of destruction. Rather, that criticism is productive and leads to growth. I love the thought, but it's a thought I share with myself, thus it's unsatisfying.

The internet has made it possible to find people of a similar mindset worldwide. Though, I suspect that I could web search for many in my general area with the vision of "iron sharpening iron". In any case, it's time I started seeking people who want to improve themselves, improve their work, and improve their world. I don't really want to do this at the mediocre level (though that may be all I am capable of); it's greatness I desire. Isn't there a price that comes with greatness? That cost has several names: Perseverance. Pursuance. Dedication. Persistence. All of these have the same message: Don't Stop!

That cost also assumes, to some degree, that you have a focus. Shit.

No comments: